I made this with a mixture of red rice, brown basmati and white basmati but you could easily use a bag of mixed wild rice. I think this would make a great vegetarian dinner party option because you can make it, leave it and reheat when you’re ready to serve.
The vegetables in the dish are 100% flexible. I used some gorgeous oyster mushrooms and a leek and shallot but you could easily replace with green veg or whatever you have in your fridge.
Mixed Rice Risotto
- 170 g Mixed rice rice, brown, wild, white
- 1 glass White wine
- 150 g Mixed mushrooms
- 1 large Leek
- 1-2 Shallots
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Yoghurt
- 50 g Vegetarian hard cheese
- 1 ltr Vegetable stock
- Finely slice the (washed) leeks, shallots, mushrooms (torn into small pieces) and fry with the butter and oil for 5 minutes
- Add the garlic (chopped) and continue cooking for 5 minutes (the mushrooms will release some water so the garlic doesn’t burn)
- Add the rice (you may need to add the harder rices first and the white rice after 10 minutes – make sure you follow the package instructions) and the white wine
- Cook for a few minutes until the wine has evaporated
- Like any risotto, continue stirring and adding ladle fulls of stock at a time until the rice is cooked (20-40 minutes depending on the variety)
- Turn off the heat and add the grated cheese, salt and peeper, the yoghurt and an extra drizzle of olive oil. Serve!