Chana Dal with Crispy Onions
Another dal recipe today because I just can’t get enough. This one is very fresh and herby
Servings: 4 people
- 3-4 cloves Garlic
- 400 g Yellow split lentils Dried
- 1/2 bunch Coriander
- 100 g Spinach Frozen or fresh
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Dried chilli or fresh
- 1 Sweet potato
- 1 Onion red
- Boil the lentils until very soft and smooth – for me it typically takes about 30 minutes in my trusty pressure cooker, or 1-1.5 hours in a regular saucepan.
- When it’s nearly ready, add the finely chopped garlic, cumin seeds and mustards seeds to a couple of tablespoons in oil in a frying pan. When it starts to brown a little transfer it to a pestle and mortar and crush it into a paste. When the lentils are the texture you want, turn off the heat, add the garlic and spice mixture plus the chopped coriander and spinach. Taste and add salt if needed.
- While it cools a little, shallow fried some thinly sliced onion and grated sweet potato to add on top on a very high heat until crispy.