This would make a great vegetarian or vegan (replace the feta with nutritional yeast) dinner party recipe. The recipe here meant to serve 4 but you could easily double the quantities and have enough for a meal for 8 in under an hour.
The smoky crunchy polenta goes so well with the sweet tomato sauce and sharp salty feta – it’s honestly such an amazing combination!
Crispy Polenta with Slow Roasted Tomatoes
For the tomato sauce
- 1 kg Tomatoes A mixed variety is best
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Fresh Rosemary or Thyme
- 3-4 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsps Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
For the polenta
- 1 cup Polenta
- 4 cups Stock
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- Firstly roughly chop all of your tomatoes and put them in a deepish oven safe dish with the sugar, salt, olive oil, garlic and rosemary (leave the garlic whole) – bake at 180 degrees for 50 minutes
- Heat 4 cups of stock on the hob until boiling – add the cup of polenta and whisk for 5 minutes on medium heat until it has formed a thick creamy mixture
- Pour the polenta into a dish to cool down for 10 minutes (it will firm up as it cools
- Slice the cooled polenta into thick slices and fry on a high heat until golden brown on both sides – transfer to an oven pan and add to the oven for the last 10 minutes of cooking time
- When the tomatoes are out of the oven, either mash them with a potato masher (if you like it a bit chunky) or blend in a food processor.
- Serve with feta and fresh herbs of your choice (basil or coriander work well)